The Augmented Reality Sandbox is free software, distributed under the GNU General Public License. To build and install the software, refer to the included README file. The process is usually as simple as "make," but some minor changes might have to be made according to the target operating system. The tarballs contain README files with rudimentary build and use instructions; please read them.
The tarballs available for download below will expand into SARndbox-<release> directories in the current directory. All downloadable files are tagged with their SHA1 checksums to protect against corruption and tampering.
This software is based on the Vrui toolkit and the Kinect 3D video capture project, version numbers as indicated below.
- SARndbox-1.6 (80KB) (SHA1=543bf7374ecc204bbb34c09d2ee9f77c0b4ff40a) Several new run-time control features. Requires Vrui-3.1-004 or newer and Kinect-2.8-002 or newer.
- SARndbox-1.5-001 (77KB) (SHA1=c2a76eaa74c46266415757215e0695b55aa84a52) New filter option to reduce remaining surface noise. Requires Vrui-3.1-002 or newer and Kinect-2.8 or newer.
- SARndbox-1.5 (75KB) (SHA1=17940e3fc9a548087718d5d312ede34416ebf6b9) Minor visual improvement in the projector calibration program. See README file. Requires Vrui-3.0-001 or newer and Kinect-2.7 or newer.
- SARndbox-1.4 (75KB) (SHA1=9bf41ca0da1949738e9b3d82e3a93f951f7cea0d) Requires Vrui-3.0-001 or newer and Kinect-2.7 or newer.
- SARndbox-1.2 (73KB) (SHA1=215308755e1db2590b17d4080752acce58a28c66) Requires Vrui-2.7-001 or newer and Kinect-2.5 or newer.
- SARndbox-1.1 (72KB) (SHA1=3c6b2ba1cdff2d00745ca4eff330b5263659f35a) Requires Vrui-2.4-001 to Vrui-2.6-002 and Kinect-2.1 to Kinect-2.4.
- SARndbox-1.0 (73KB) (SHA1=1e961f38469df75f4bfec9e6e4b9fe057ca8f561) Requires Vrui-2.4-001 or newer and Kinect-2.1 or newer.
To interact with other AR Sandbox users, or ask questions or provide feedback to the developers, please head to the official AR Sandbox support forum on the Lake Visualization 3D web site.
There are now step-by-step installation instructions, starting from a blank PC, at the AR Sandbox support forum, including a video.
We politely ask that you display a small plaque on or near any publicly visible AR Sandbox that you construct, to give credit for development of the original algorithms and code, and acknowledge the federal research grant that funded its development. Here is a template paragraph:
If you want to use the KeckCAVES logo, we have two versions (portrait and landscape) available for download in high resolution:
We also have a printable QR code that takes viewers directly to the Augmented Reality Sandbox project page: