Vrui Documentation and User's Manual for Vrui-3.1-001
Note: The up-to-date version of this document is always included in the Documentation subdirectory of the Vrui source distribution.
These are the current contents of the Vrui user's manual:
- Using Vrui Applications
- An introduction to the Vrui application user interface on the desktop.
- Components Defining a Vrui Environment
- An introduction to how Vrui understands immersive display environments.
- The Vrui Display Area and its Coordinate System
- An introduction to configuring the Vrui display system to a given virtual reality or desktop environment.
- Using Desktop Input Devices with Vrui
- A guide to using desktop input devices like joysticks or spaceballs with Vrui applications.
- Setting up and Calibrating a Vrui VR Environment
- A step-by-step guide to configure a (multi-screen) Vrui environment and to calibrate 6-DOF input devices.
- Multi-window Rendering in Vrui
- A detailed explanation of how Vrui handles rendering to multiple windows/displays, using a cluster, multiple graphics cards inside a single computer, or multiple video outputs on a single graphics card, or any combination thereof.
- The Vrui Configuration File
- Description of the basic structure of the Vrui configuration file.
- Vrui Configuration File Settings Reference
- List of all settings Vrui reads from its configuration file.
- Vrui Tool Configuration File Settings Reference
- List of all core Vrui tool classes, their internal class names, and the settings they can read from their configuration file sections.
- VR Device Daemon Configuration File Settings Reference
- List of all settings Vrui's stand-alone VR device driver, VRDeviceDaemon, reads from its configuration file.
- Recording and Playback of Vrui Sessions
- A guide on Vrui's recording facility, which captures a user's interaction and an optional audio track for later playback.
These are the current contents of the Vrui development documentation:
- The Vrui FAQ
- Frequently asked questions about developing applications with the Vrui toolkit.
- Library Overview
- Overview of the functionality provided by each library making up the Vrui toolkit.
- Development Rules
- A collection of the dos & don'ts of developing Vrui applications.
- Detailed description of the separation of per-application and per-OpenGL context state in Vrui applications. Required reading if a developer wants to create applications that retain OpenGL state, such as display lists, texture objects, vertex buffers, or shader programs.
- Input Handling in Vrui
- A description of how Vrui handles user input by translating low-level input device hardware measurements and events into application-level functions such as navigation or selection/dragging. Under construction.
- The Vrui source code
- Use the source, Luke!