Vrui 2.7-xxx Release Notes
This page lists major changes between Vrui versions 2.6-xxx and 2.7-yyy, both for users and programmers. As always, all changes are listed in detail in the HISTORY file in the package root directory.
- Added driver module for serial mice, specifically to support the Ascension Wanda integrated tracked input device, to the VR device daemon.
- Added a new input device adapter to receive tracking and event data directly from a trackd daemon.
- Changed layout of View submenu in Vrui's system menu; now dedicated push/pop view buttons; save view button no longer pushes view.
- Experimental "hack" in navigation code to reduce round-off error induced jitter when rotating at very large scale factors.
- Many changes to scene graph module, to support geodetic coordinate transformations and map projections, and on-the-fly image projections.
- API change: changed how Vrui's scene graph module handles transformation nodes, to support working around OpenGL's precision limits. The SceneGraph::GLRenderState constructor now takes an initial transformation from eye space to model space.
- In a related change, helper functions in Vrui/SceneGraphSupport.h can now be used to remove the need to manually manage scene graphs' GL render states.
- API change: point and vector data types at the interface of SceneGraph::PointTransformNode and derived classes are now double precision.
- API change: Abstract tool classes, i.e., those that have child tool classes, must now be registered with Vrui::ToolManager using the new addAbstractClass method. This was necessary to support dynamic tool selection menus.
- Added new Vrui::FileSelectionHelper class to simplify managing file selection dialogs to select names of files to load or save. Applications or components now only need to provide a single callback, called when a file name was successfully selected. All exceptions thrown from that callback are properly handled by the helper class.
- Internal API change: loadInputGraph and saveInputGraph methods in Vrui::InputGraphManager now accept an IO::Directory and a directory-relative file name.
- New GLMotif::Pager container widget.
- New GLMotif::MaterialEditor widget.